ORTIZ, III, M.D.
Total Joint Replacement & Revision
Dr. Dionisio Ortiz is a board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon specializing in primary and complex hip and knee replacement surgery. His expertise includes the use of robotic- and computer-assisted hip and knee replacement, both anterior and posterior approach hip replacement, revision hip and knee replacement, and the treatment of young adult hip and knee disorders to include ligament and cartilage injuries of the knee and avascular necrosis of the hip. His focus is on restoring function to patients to allow them to resume the activities that they enjoy.
Dr. Ortiz graduated from the University of Connecticut with a Bachelor of Science degree in kinesiology in 2005, becoming a certified athletic trainer. While working at an outpatient physical therapy clinic for orthopaedic injuries in New York City, he completed a certificate in premedical sciences at Columbia University in 2007. He then went on to medical school and graduated cum laude from the SUNY Downstate College of Medicine in Brooklyn, New York. For medical school, he was a recipient of the U.S. Army Health Professions Scholarship Program and subsequently completed his residency at the San Antonio Military Medical Center, the only Level 1 trauma center in the Department of Defense.
After residency, Dr. Ortiz completed four years of service as a general orthopaedic surgeon in Fort Drum, New York. During that time, he served two overseas deployments, one with the 31st Combat Support Hospital to Kuwait in 2016 – 2017, and a second tour with the 909th Forward Surgical Team to Afghanistan in 2019. His military decorations include the Meritorious Service Medal, the Combat Action Badge, the Army Commendation Medal with Combat Device, and the Afghanistan Campaign Medal.
After completion of his military service, Dr. Ortiz completed a fellowship in adult hip and knee reconstruction at the NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital/Insall Scott Kelly® Institute in New York City. There he had the privilege of working with leaders and innovators in the field of hip and knee replacement surgery and focusing on robotic/computer-assisted hip and knee replacement, minimally invasive hip and knee replacement, partial knee replacement, complex revision hip and knee replacement, and select hip and knee preservation procedures.
In his free time, Dr. Ortiz enjoys traveling the world with his family, coaching baseball, and playing golf.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Biology: University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- Doctor of Medicine: SUNY Downstate College, Brooklyn, NY
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: San Antonio Military Medical Center, San Antonio, TX
- Adult Reconstruction Fellowship: NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital/Insall Scott Kelly® Institute, New York, NY
- Board Certified: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Editorial Board Member, Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic & Related Surgery
- Editorial Board Member, The Journal Arthroplasty
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Fellow, American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, American Orthopaedic Association Emerging Leaders Program
- Member, Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons
- New York State Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal
- Army Commendation Medal with Combat Device
- Combat Action Badge
- Meritorious Service Medal
- United States Army, Orthopaedic Surgeon