The local experts at The Bone & Joint Center, a leading orthopedic practice in the region, have observed a significant uptick in injuries correlating with the surging popularity of pickleball. This trend mirrors recent findings from insurance carriers and analysts, indicating a parallel increase in pickleball-related injuries on a national scale. In response to the growing concern, the practice's experts have formulated comprehensive guidelines aimed at promoting safety and injury prevention among pickleball enthusiasts.
General Orthopaedics (Non-Surgical)
Dr. Todd Shatynski is a sports medicine specialist with an emphasis and interest in the nonsurgical treatment of injuries and is trained in the use of musculoskeletal ultrasound for the diagnosis of soft tissue injuries and the guidance of injections. He is often involved in teaching residents and sports medicine fellows.
Dr. Shatynski has extensive experience in a variety of sports, including football, hockey, and endurance sports. A graduate of Guilderland High School, he enjoys spending time with his wife and three children, as well as participating in running and triathlons. He has completed multiple marathons and Ironman distance triathlons, including Ironman Hawaii. He serves as a team physician for the University of Albany, College of Saint Rose, Columbia High School and Triathlon Australia.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry: North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
- Doctor of Medicine: Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, VA
- Family Practice Residency: Saint Vincent Hospital, Erie, PA
- Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship: Saint Vincent Sports Medicine, Erie, PA
- Board Certification: American Board of Family Medicine
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Sports Medicine: American Board of Family Medicine
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Medical Association
- American Medical Society of Sports Medicine
- Albany Medical Center: Associate Director of Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship
- Albany Medical Center
- Capital Region Ambulatory Surgery Center
- University at Albany, State University of New York