Castle Connolly recently released its 2019 Top Doctors listing, which included eleven doctors from The Bone & Joint Center. Eight of the doctors, Drs. Richard Alfred, R. Maxwell Alley, Robert Cheney, John Czajka, Matthew DiCaprio, Marc Fuchs, Jordan Lisella, and Joachim Tenuta, were named Top Doctors in orthopaedic surgery. The other three, Drs.
Hand and Upper Extremities
Dr. Richard Whipple is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon who is well-known for his work in the hand and upper extremity. His interests include endoscopic carpal tunnel release, trigger fingers, fractures, thumb reconstruction, shoulder arthroscopy, rotator cuff repairs, and shoulder replacements.
His outside interests include skiing, sailing, hiking, and traveling.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science: Brown University, Providence, RI
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT
- General Surgery Internship: Albany Medical Center, Albany, NY
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: Albany Medical Center, Albany, NY
- Hand and Upper Extremity Fellowship: Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Surgery of the Hand: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- New York State Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Named "Best Doctors, America's Top Surgeons"
- Superintendent's List, U.S. Naval Academy Top 1% in Academics and Leadership
- Albany Medical College: Clinical Assistant Professor
- Albany Medical Center
- Capital Region Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Center for Advanced Ambulatory Surgery
- St. Peter’s Hospital
- “Dr. Whipple was thorough and informative with a great personality.”– Megan F.Patient Rating:
- “Dr. Whipple helped me with my shoulder pain. I am feeling so much better today after the injection and he really made it painless. Very happy with my experience with all of the staff. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. He also explained completely next steps and laid out the plan if it does not get better.”– Nancy D.Patient Rating:
- “Dr. Whipple got me in earlier because of pain in my shoulder. I have seen him for over 20 years—first class.”– William M.Patient Rating: