Dr. Michael Flaherty is a fellowship-trained sports medicine specialist whose interests include hip, knee, shoulder, and elbow arthroscopy and orthopaedic fracture care. He specializes in arthroscopic labral repair and reconstruction of the hip, arthroscopic labral and rotator cuff repair of the shoulder, and complex ligamentous reconstruction of the knee.
He grew up in the Boston area and attended Georgetown University as a four-year member of the Hoya football team. He continued his athletic interest at the University of Massachusetts, where he served as the assistant team physician to the minor league affiliates of the Boston Red Sox organization (Pawtucket Red Sox and Lowell Spinners).
He resides in Saratoga with his wife and three children, and sees patients at out Albany, Malta, and Saratoga offices.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry: Georgetown University, Washington, DC
- Doctor of Medicine: St. George’s University School of Medicine, Bay Shore, NY
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: Albany Medical Center, Albany, NY
- Sports Medicine Fellowship: University of Massachusetts, Worcester, MA
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Georgetown Alumni Association
- Gridiron Club of Georgetown
- New England Shoulder and Elbow Society
- New York State Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Albany Medical Center
- Capital Region Ambulatory Surgery Center
- St. Peter's Hospital
- University at Albany, State University of New York
- Hudson Valley Community College