Dr. Joachim Tenuta is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon with primary interests in sports medicine and general orthopaedics.
Dr. Tenuta had an extensive career in the United States Army. His assignments included being an orthopaedic surgeon for the Army’s elite special operations detachment, as well as the chief of orthopaedics at Landstuhl Medical Center in Germany, where he developed the facility to be the receiving point for all injured in Iraq and Afghanistan. In 2010, he served as the medical operations commander in Afghanistan for the Western Region.
Dr. Tenuta spent a majority of his career at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, New York, as a team physician and clinical instructor for the Army’s sports medicine fellowship program. He also served as deputy consultant to the Army’s Surgeon General and retired at the rank of Colonel.
- Bachelor of Science: United States Military Academy, West Point, NY
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA
- General Surgery Internship: Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center, Fort Gordon, GA
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Washington, DC
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS)
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Combat Medical Badge, Ranger Task Force, Somalia
- Bronze Star Medal, Afghanistan
- Army Surgeon General’s “A” Designator as Top Level Surgeon
- Extremity War Injury Annual Symposium Member
- Chief of Orthopaedics, Landstuhl Medical Center, Germany
- Order of Military Medical Merit
- Team Physician, United States Military Academy
- Instructor, Army’s Sports Medicine Fellowship
- Parachutist Badge and Air Assault Badge
- Albany Medical Center
- Capital Region Ambulatory Surgery Center
- St. Peter’s Hospital
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
"Everyone was pleasant and efficient at The Bone & Joint Center. Dr. Tenuta is caring and explains fully the diagnosis. I have nothing but 100% satisfaction there!" - Albert M.