As a fellowship-trained musculoskeletal oncologist, Dr. Matthew DiCaprio’s primary clinical focus deals with the treatment of benign and malignant bone and soft tissue tumors in adult and pediatric patients. This includes both primary musculoskeletal tumors and metastatic bone disease.
Dr. DiCaprio’s other areas of interest include joint reconstruction and replacement, sports medicine, and orthopaedic trauma.
He is a native of Scotia and returned to the Capital Region in 2004 to be the areas only orthopaedic oncologist in over a 100 mile radius. Dr. DiCaprio is passionate about the care of his sarcoma patients and has started SarcomaStrong.com, an annual Team Sarcoma 5K Run/Walk to raise awareness and funds for sarcoma research.
Dr. DiCaprio is an associate director of orthopaedic oncology at Albany Medical College.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Biology: Utica College, Utica, NY
- Doctor of Medicine: State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
- General Surgery Internship: Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
- Musculoskeletal Oncology Fellowship: University of Florida Health, Gainesville, FL
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Alpha Omega Alpha (Junior Year), State University of New York Health Science Center
- American Medical Association
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Manuscript Reviewer for Clnical Orthopaedics and Related Research
- Medical Society of the State of New York
- Musculoskeletal Tumor Society
- Multiple Publications in the Fields of Orthopaedic Oncology, Joint Reconstructive Surgery, and Medical Education
- Patients' Choice Recognition Award
- Yale Orthopaedic Graduation Disputation Award for Research
- Albany Medical Center
- Capital Region Ambulatory Surgery Center
- St. Peter’s Hospital